Monday, May 26, 2008

Here and now...

Isn't it strange to go back and visit a place you haven't been in a while. Things are familiar, yet different. I tend to remember all of the good things...seeing my old stomping grounds like some desert oasis. I have thoughts about going back as if it would make my life better. As if my life is somehow incomplete now.
Does the grass always have to seem greener on the other side of the fence? How can I learn to appreciate the green grass on my side of the fence? I know it is natural to always be seeking the next greener pasture. There is nothing wrong with that. Ambition is a great trait to have, but for me, it seems to have caused some discontent.
I want to seek a better life while at the same time savoring the great life I have now. I want to make an effort to really live for today.
If you had to assign a percentage to each, how much of your life is spent thinking about the past, thinking about the future, and thinking about the here and now? Someone once told me that it should be 10% past, 10% future, and 80% now.
I know it is good to remember your past as a way to see how far you have come and learn from your mistakes. For me though, it definitely takes up more than 10%. I my thoughts of the past rarely have anything to do with gauging my progress. I know it is also good to think of the future, make goals, etc. What happens when you keep thinking that you will finally be happy when.....? These thoughts take up way more than 10%.
So what do I have left for the here and now? Whatever it is, it is not enough. I need to change my focus. I have been so blessed in my life and I have a great life...right now.

No comments: